Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dandelion Whine

Yup! that's me.

I've always loved dandelions, and spent a lot of time picking them, even before I could say their name. My dad let them grow in the side yard just for me. I love their bright yellow pop and watching the flight of the seeds...what's not to love? (Thus the whine...)

Turns out dandelions can practically cure cancer(and may well do that too!). I came across a wonderful foraging-foodie blog http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/. I tried the recipe for Dandelion Bread and it turned out great!!! (recipe here http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/2008/04/dandy-muffins-and-bread.html ). Even my boys loved it.
The recipe calls for 1 cup of petals, this was all I could find in my yard. They made almost a packed cup.

The bread even looks yummy. It has a cornbready texture with just the right amount of moistness. I had to tweak the recipe a tad because I had to sub sugar for honey, here is my modified recipe:
2 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dandelion petals
1/4 cup oil
scant 1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
scant 1 1/4 cups milk

I can feel that dandelion miracle cure zapping through my veins...my dad is visiting this weekend to celebrate his birthday, I'm going to make him some Dandelion Bread!

5 comments:

Wanderin' Weeta said...

And for real yellowy goodness, spread it with some Dandelion Jelly.

I used to have a recipe, but lost it. Anyhow, it was just an armload of dandelion petals, boiled, strained, and done up with pectin and sugar in the usual manner.

wyldthang said...

Hmmmmm, you give me a great idea...like when the berries are goin on I'll think up some chutney, eh? That jelly sounds good too, specially if it's that great dandelion yellow. Thanks Weeta!

Kristine said...

I've never heard of dandelion bread, but it sounds interesting. I may have to try some. Goodness knows, I can certainly find some dandelions.

wyldthang said...

Hi Kristine, and you too Weeta--be sure to check out the original recipe at the link to Fat of the Land. Lots of other great weedy recipe ideas there too!

EcoRover said...

I love dandelion greens, but have never cared for the flowers even as wine. But the bread sounds worth a try. Thanks!